Sunday, July 1, 2007

On the Edge...


Friday, June 29th--Paul, Ned, Dai, Igor, and Drew joined me in riding in critical mass followed by some yahooery and foosball back at the house.


Saturday, June 30th--I met up with Bob Harrison and his fellow boat builder Dave for a trial paddle out to Angel Island (Bob is paddling with me from Bellingham to Port Townsend, WA.

Perched on the edge of departure, I am scurrying about trying to get it all finished and ready to go. It has been an intense last 10 days saying goodbye to everyone, gathering the last of my gear together, lining up housing stuff, and still taking time to breathe. The range of emotion has been a bit of a rollercoaster ride, the sadness of saying goodbyes, excitement of realizing what is ahead, all mixed with a healthy dose of fear (just enough to keep me focussed). I should be able to post about every 10 days during the Alaska kayaking section, so keep checking in.

The Schedule
7/3--I drive north to Ashland to hang out with Cathleen Sheehan for the night

7/4--What is more patriotic than spending the 4th driving? (off to Port Townsend)

7/7--Tana Leach drives me to Bellingham to see me off on the ferry

7/9--I arrive in Juneau and meet up with Phil Samuels

7/11--Phil and I head to Glacier Bay

7/12--At long last, BOATS GO INTO THE WATER!!

7/20--We paddle into Juneau for a resupply

7/22--We Paddle south towards Petersburg

8/3--We paddle into Petersburg (Brian Melley arrives by plane)

8/5--Brian and I paddle towards Wrangell and Ketchikan (Phil flies home)

8/14--We arrive in Ketchikan

8/15--I board the ferry to Washington and Brian flies home

8/17--I arrive by ferry in Bellingham, WA (greeted by Bob Harrison)

8/18--Bob and I depart for Port Townsend, WA

8/23--We arrive in Port Townsend, WA (Bob heads home)

8/25--Tana's Wedding

8/29--I start riding south

end of September I ride through the Bay Area, more details to come about opportunities to join me for a few days on the way in or out of the Bay Area.

10/17--I arrive in La Jolla at GiGi and Bills

10/18-10/21--I fly up to San Rafael for the Bioneers conference

10/23--I drive south to Baja

Some time before Thanksgiving--I return home

11/26--I am back teaching at Urban in a classroom with windows! (Garden room?, just not the basement)

7 comments:

Unknown said...

Derek! I'm so jealous. It was a great pleasure to join you for my first critical mass ever. Ned directed the 2nd half of the ride so you can blame him for not dropping us right in the Presidio. I'm still hoping that I'll be able to catch you for a piece of the bike ride and make sure you aren't getting to lonely with the 'bob' trailing you everywhere. Travel well!

Unknown said...

You are my hero Hardwell!

Unknown said...

bear-it is a joy to see the width of your smile. what an amazing journey. you are definately missed back here in california, but a fair trade for time spent with the eagles and whales.

look forward to seeing you at tanas wedding
much love,
dwalsh

Regina said...

Derek, It was so wonderful to hear your voice on our machine. Yes, we'll be around when you arrive in Seattle. Barney & Travis have some camping planned around that time, but we'll work with your schedule.

Wow - what an adventure! We had just returned from a day hike at Mt.Rainier, & my eyes were burning tired, but I found your blog, & couldn't stop reading. It's a definite "page turner."
Love,
Aunt R. & Uncle B.

Kelly Helgans said...

How's the riding going? You got a ring-O-fire yet? May the wind be at your back....travel safe.

Unknown said...

you shave that thing yet?? not in alaska any more. gotta remind me when you are riding through-got a few beers to burn off.
dw

Jerilyn said...

Hi Derek!

WOW- I just read your journal and it is fantastic. What a beautiful experience you are having with our glorious earth.

May your spirit guides surround you with support and love every minute of every day.

Love,

Jeri